Sunday 13 April 2014

Review of NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis

(Blurb from Goodreads.com)

Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 


Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all. Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand. But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….



With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.


The way I read it ~


I've mulled it over for days, thinking about how to review this book. It left me with a weird taste in my mouth. Not necessarily a bad one, but very weird. Like I wanted more but was cautious about having more. Like a sweet treat that you know will give you cavities and yet you know without a doubt that you will delight in every single, sweet morsel even as your teeth fall out.


The story begins with the introduction of Mother and Lynn who live in a world lacking in sufficient fresh water and where such water is coveted and killed for. The setting seemed brutal to me. Brutal and bleak. Very 'western desert'. Mother is a force to be reckoned with. She raised her daughter with a firm hand, teaching her from very young that it is better to kill before being killed for the water you have. It was a very distrusting upbringing that led to a solitary sort of existence centered around protecting the one source of water, the pond. They had to fight against strangers who ventured too close to their property and even with very determined coyotes. And the descriptive writing of Mindy McGinnis brought it to life for me. I cringed and closed my eyes at those moments. It was very real to me and I connected with Lynn through every bit of it.



Her journey from being self sufficient and yet dependent on Mother to being self sufficient but caring for strangers. It was exciting to watch her evolve in that way. She began to react to situations with her heart too and not just with her brain as Mother had taught her. Her suspicious nature blossomed really beautifully into a loving one. Though it was clear she didn't know what to do with that softer emotion because it was so foreign to her. There was a fear of the unknown that Lynn had to face and this was enhanced by her lack of social etiquette and understanding of tenderness. But she never lost her edge. Nope. She was sharp and calculating and I called her a 'badass chick' a few times and the name stuck. She was not one to be trifled with. She held her ground on what mattered to her; protecting her home and her water, while realizing that Mother didn't have all the answers. She realized that there was more to her world than just defending her pond. 



The supporting characters of Stebbs, Eli, Lucy and Neva were enjoyable when they first interact with Lynn and eventually as they helped shape her new perspective on the world. The threat of incessant danger was always there looming in the background. I think Mindy McGinnis did an amazing job of tempering that, making the evolution of the story and the revelation of the ending very exciting. I kept waiting for the danger to pounce. Was thrilled when it did. It was exhilarating to read. It was also unexpected, the twists and turns I was led through. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did.



I had read no reviews that could tarnish my initial interest. I was glad I didn't. The story felt fresh and exciting. I definitely want to read the next chapter In a Handful of Dust.



P.S. I heart the cover.

RATED SWEET: 4 out of 5 Sugar cubes


Reviewed by Leelo

No comments:

Post a Comment