Monday 11 August 2014

Review of THE SUM OF ALL KISSES by Julia Quinn

(Blurb from Goodreads.com)

Hugh Prentice has never had patience for dramatic females, and if Lady Sarah Pleinsworth has ever been acquainted with the words shy or retiring, she's long since tossed them out the window. Besides, a reckless duel has left this brilliant mathematician with a ruined leg, and now he could never court a woman like Sarah, much less dream of marrying her.

Sarah has never forgiven Hugh for the duel he fought that nearly destroyed her family. But even if she could find a way to forgive him, it wouldn't matter. She doesn't care that his leg is less than perfect, it's his personality she can't abide. But forced to spend a week in close company they discover that first impressions are not always reliable. And when one kiss leads to two, three, and four, the mathematician may lose count, and the lady may, for the first time, find herself speechless ...



The way I read it ~


The Sum of All Kisses turned out really to be 'The Sum of various sarcastically flirtatious conversations that had absolutely nothing to do with kissing till almost to the end of the story'



I kept waiting for the kissing.  And waiting and waiting.....




Till finally they kissed....





Which made up for the long wait.



I loved all the witty banter between Hugh and Sarah. Neither character was what I expected them be. Which was delightfully surprising. 

I fully expected the surly 'I always get what I want, when I want and I want it now' British Lord. But Hugh was intense yes, though in a laid back, sarcastically flippant and funny way. Outrageously funny. Outrageously daring. So naughty.

Sarah was very opinionated yet still naive in most ways common to gentlewomen of her time. She was sassy but never too outspoken to be considered rude or impolite. I disliked her at first and found it difficult to sympathize with her. She was borderline inconsiderate with her choice of words and overly dramatic, yes definitely. But her personality altered and developed as the story progressed and through it all, her penchant for sarcasm was such a force to be reckoned with. 

And in that Hugh sure did reckon with it. 

horny

They were characters who were both very sure of themselves (even though at times I felt, not very aware of themselves) , what they said and how they said it. Which was probably why they butted heads and totally disliked each other instantly.

Which all translated to me as



The writing was marvelously done. I loved how Julia Quinn kept it light and engaging. I rather enjoyed The 17th/18th century slang, once I allowed myself to swim with the words rather than against them. I learnt a few new ones here. It was great! 

And yes I totally read with an English Accent.

A point to consider:
This is the third in a quartet. You will meet characters who've had their own stories told. But I didn't feel like I missed anything in reading this first. All characters were given their due entrance and part in the story line and it may make you curious. The Sum of All Kisses can absolutely be read as a stand-alone though feel free to read in order. I simply 'happened upon' this one and didn't read the blurb.

Sometimes it works out best that way, makes the journey that much more intriguing. 


RATED SWEET: 4 out of 5 Sugar cubes





Reviewed by Leelo







No comments:

Post a Comment