Sunday 13 April 2014

Review of EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton

(Blurb from Goodreads.com)

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned-to her old life, her family, her boyfriend-before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance-and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.
As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.

The way I read it ~
This was a challenging read for me. I dove in, expecting not to like it and almost six days later I have surfaced, realizing that I surprisingly did. It was one of those reads that tug you along and you're not quite aware of the initial pull till its too late. My spidey-book sense tingled viciously and I found myself engrossed in a story that was weirdly interesting and interestingly weird. Needless to say this weird child was perfectly happy about it.

Cole was an enigma. I couldn't figure out if he was good or bad. Which tickled me incessantly. You never really learned much about him. And even when  his ulterior motive was revealed, and mind you that motive was totally self serving, I didn't dislike him. But I didn't love him. I think I couldn't quite make up my mind if he was the hero or the villain because this book doesn't warrant enough time for that kind of revelation. I get the feeling there's much more to Cole. I'm excited to find out what.

Nikki was just depressing. At times I felt I could reach in and give her a swift kick in the butt. It was becoming annoying and it was enough to make me not want to read on. I definitely felt that 'doom and gloom' about her and I couldn't quite shake it. Until Jack came along. He was like a light at the end of the Tunnels (insider's joke). It was only then that I started to like Nikki. Jack seemed to balance her out in a way that gave the story hope and not make me want to bang my head against concrete. They had obstacles to overcome, what with Nikki's disappearance and then her Return. It was heart warming to read about them finding their way back to each other. It was sweet. And the poking and prodding of Cole added that next level of angst that was utterly delicious. Two guys in love with the same girl? An old story that tends to get boring as it is over used, but I didn't mind it one bit here.

That ending? Urgh! Poignant and oh, so predictable. But... I LOVED IT! I'm curious to read Part 2 Everbound.

Very, very curious.

wink wink

....moving on.
RATED  JUST RIGHT: 3 out of 5 Sugar cubes


Reviewed by Leelo

No comments:

Post a Comment