Monday 11 August 2014

Review of FURY by Charlotte Mc Conaghy

(Blurb from Goodreads.com)


Eighteen-year-old Josephine Luquet wakes up naked and covered in blood on the same day every year-when the blood moon is full. Josi has not responded to the "Cure"-an immunization against anger mandated by the government-and believes herself to be a threat to others. 

Then she meets Luke. Luke has had the Cure but seems different than the other "drones"-and he's dead set on helping Josi discover the truth about herself before the next blood moon. 

But time is running out. Is Luke willing to risk his life to be near her? Does he truly understand what violence she is capable of? 
Raw and full of passion, Fury is a story of love in a dystopian world, and how much we are willing to forgive in the struggle to remember our humanity. 



The way I read it ~

Sooooo many unanswered questions.

kristen wiig animated GIF

Took me a while (3 months) to hash out this review with my over-active brain, my all too deceiving curiosity and my unhinged spidey-book sense.

Fury, for me, was a bundle of unnerving sequences that left me floored, flabbergasted and feeling outright weird.



I read Josephine as strong willed but she's ultimately a tortured soul, defeated and torn by her 'circumstance'. I loved her deadpan sarcasm (I'm a total sucker for it) and her unwavering resolve (though it did annoy me when it made her seem obtuse). She was all alone in the world midst her terrifying reality till she meets Luke. 

Luke. Can I tell you about Luke?



Yeah... Luke was a picker-upper for me. He walked in like the blazing hero to swoop and conquer the heroine and set her ovaries on fire.

Well not really. But I'll just go back to my previous point...



Luke was a steady force that Josephine could not resist. He was kind and compassionate, strong willed and sweet. He was the screw driver to all Josephine's loose screws, as I like to put it.



Their romance (If I dare call it that. It was so twisted and complicated it probably isn't) was well spaced and played out. I truly felt heartbroken for them. I hoped for a bright and shiny ending for these two love birds but noooooooo. No brightness, no shine and no way it will end well, or at the very least get better before it ends in total catastrophe.

I will say I am intrigued by the whole premise of this world, where emotions are 'erased'. This story was full of suspense, mystery and weirdness. There was a bit of horror which scared and delighted me in equal measure. And as I said before, it left off with a ton of unanswered questions and wonderful possibilities. 

I feel irked. 

But I also feel excited as I contemplate where the story will continue. I'm eager for more of this dark, twisty tale.

And this feeling usually gets me into good trouble.

Here's hoping...





**************************************
Received from Publisher via NetGalley


RATED TOO SWEET: 5 out of 5 Sugar cubes













Reviewed by Leelo





No comments:

Post a Comment