Wednesday 23 July 2014

Review of SNOW LIKE ASHES by Sara Raasch

(Blurb from Goodreads.com)


Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.


So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn't go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.




The way I read it ~

This story picked up quite well. I had been excited to read it since I first discovered it.

Snow like Ashes lays the foundation for an intricate world of the eight kingdoms of Primoria. I say intricate because it was the tiny details that were the best for me. I will admit I'm a sucker for these types of books, where entire worlds are created, so amazingly detailed that initially they seem very daunting but nevertheless pique your interest and unexpectedly poke your curiosity. So I gave in to my spidey-book sense that this might be a good one. 

And good it was. 

It could be great... 

It is only Book 1 of a trilogy. The pace was very slow at times though it never lacked in creativity and thus it kept me interested throughout. The 'Big Twist' was awesome! I kind of saw it coming.... But the shock of it was not dampened by the fact that I expected it. Surprisingly it made it more exciting to read. I love getting to know complex characters and learning of their quirks and anticipating their development throughout the entire scope of the story. I sense the potential here for an amazing literary journey.

I'm eager to read more.



RATED JUST RIGHT: 3 out of 5 Sugar cubes




Reviewed by Leelo

No comments:

Post a Comment